Ranked in Band 4, Chambers & Partners, Corporate & M&A (Asia-Pacific), 2016
Anuj is a dual-qualified lawyer, qualified to practice both in England and India. After completing his LL.M. from the University of Nottingham in 1994, Anuj spent a year with Hogan & Hartson in Washington D.C. followed by six years with Lovells in London. He returned to India to work with Karam in 2004. Over the past few years, Anuj has worked on diverse transactions that range from road projects (acting for Cintra) to hotel management contracts (acting for Hyatt). Anuj has also advised leading organizations, such as Naval Group, State Street and the world’s leading media and communications group on corporate legal matters and regularly advises a number of international clients on data-related matters.
Select Corporate & M&A Experience:
- Advised EDF on its acquisition of the nuclear steam business from General Electric.
- Advised Huntsman on the sale of its textile effects division to Archroma, a portfolio company of SK Capital Partners.
- Advised Huntsman on the sale of its India Based DIY Consumer Adhesives Business to Pidilite Industries for USD 285 million.
- Advised the SITAC Group on its joint venture with EDF Énergies Nouvelles for developing wind energy projects in India.
- Advised WPP on its acquisition of majority stakes in various Indian companies engaged in the advertising and communications sector.
- Advised Pearson on a number of investments into and exits from various Indian companies primarily active in the education sector.
- Advised Japan Tobacco International on the sale of its 50% stake in a cigarette manufacturing joint venture in India.
- Advised Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte, S.A. on the bidding process for various BOT road projects and also on the related joint bidding arrangements with Shapoorji Pallonji.
- Advised Tencent in relation to its investments into Practo and Byju’s.
- Advised the Triveni Group in relation to its steam turbine joint venture with GE.
- Advised Hyatt Corporation on hotel management contracts for a number of hotel sites across India.
- Advised a leading US headquartered bank in connection with its aborted joint venture in a custodian business in India.
Select Data Privacy & Security Experience:
- Advised a Canadian provider of investment / asset management services on data privacy compliance requirements in India.
- Advised a Swiss multinational employment consultancy on the Indian data privacy aspects of collection and sharing of data of potential candidates.
- Advised a German artificial intelligence start-up on Indian data privacy aspects including transfer of anonymised medical data available with Indian hospitals.
- Advised an American multinational financial services corporation on the Indian data privacy aspects of utilising call centre recordings for developing quality control software.
- Advised a global provider of data and insights on Indian data privacy and other regulatory aspects with respect to collection of information through various tools / channels for marketing purposes.
- Advised a leading multinational fashion retailer on Indian data privacy and other regulatory aspects with respect to the setting up of their website in India and for their marketing and sales-related activities.
- Advised an international non-governmental organization working for human rights on data privacy compliance requirements in India.
- Advised several leading global corporations on data related matters (including employment and health related data matters, data norms to be followed in white collar investigations and drafting customised data policies).
- Advised a number of international corporations in dealing with the Indian aspects of data breaches.
- Advised a major international oil company on data sharing arrangements for a loyalty programme with an Indian joint venture partner.
- Stephen’s College, Delhi University, B.A., 1991
- Delhi University (Bachelor of Laws), 1994
- University of Nottingham, (Masters in International Commercial Law), 1995
- Admitted to the Bar Council of Delhi, 1994
- Solicitor, England and Wales, 2001
‘TikTok – Time for a new IT Framework’ (Lexology, 9 July 2020)
‘Earn-out, locked box and retention Q&A: India’ (2020) | Practical Law
‘Put and call option Q&A: India’ (2020) | Practical Law
‘Signing, closing and opinions Q&A: India’ (2020) | Practical Law
‘Share acquisition documents Q&A: India’ (2020) | Practical Law
- Ranked in Band 4, Chambers & Partners, Corporate & M&A (Asia-Pacific), 2016
“Anuj Bhatia is well regarded in the market and is great to work with. His recent slate of work includes acting for WPP Group in the acquisition of stakes in various Indian companies in the media, communications and IT sectors.”