Satyajit is a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer. He graduated from National Law School, Bangalore in 2008. Satyajit has worked with S&R Associates and Amarchand Mangaldas, and has read in the chambers of Mr. Neeraj Kishan Kaul, Senior Advocate and former Additional Solicitor General. Satyajit has more than ten years of experience with litigation matters, especially corporate and commercial matters, including before the High Court of Delhi, National Company Law Tribunal, and trial courts. He has appeared in domestic and international commercial arbitrations for Indian and foreign clients. Satyajit has also advised a wide range of clients across the media space, including the New York Times, NDTV, ANI News, Penguin Random House, Juggernaut Books, and Pan Macmillan.
Select Commercial Litigation Experience:
- Representing the Fairfax Group in winding-up proceedings pending before the High Court of Delhi and related matters before the Supreme Court.
- Represented the Company Secretary and other employees in the shareholder dispute Vikram Bakshi Connaught Plaza Restaurants (relating to the joint venture franchisee for McDonald’s Restaurants in North and East India) and connected matters before the NCLT, NCLAT, High Court of Delhi and district courts.
- Representing NCC Infrastructure Holding Company, a major construction company, in an SIAC arbitration and related challenges.
- Represented a Russian engineering concern in a turbine erection arbitration pertaining to an NTPC power plant.
- Representing a Thyssenkrupp group company as operational creditor in insolvency proceedings before the NCLT.
- Representing Manor Hotels in ongoing disputes with former operators.
- Appointed as arbitrator in a set of debt recovery arbitrations; conducted hearings and passed awards.
- Acted in an External General Counsel role for Fabindia Overseas Pvt. Ltd. on all legal matters including general corporate, litigations, intellectual property, joint ventures, and regulatory and consumer issues.
Select Media Law Experience:
- Representing Juggernaut Books in civil and criminal defamation proceedings before various trial courts, the High Court of Delhi and Supreme Court, including in Swami Ramdev Priyanka Pathak Narain & Ors.
- Appealed successfully before the Film Certification Appellate Tribunal against an order of the Central Board of Film Certification denying the Tamil film Mutrupuliyaa a certificate for public exhibition.
- Defended newspaper The Statesman successfully before the Press Council of India against multiple complaints, which were consequently dismissed.
- Advised The New York Times on notices received from Competition Commission of India, Uttar Pradesh Police and other entities.
- Advised publishing house Juggernaut Books on raising initial funding from angel investors and further funding in further rounds of investment; retained to advise on issues of intellectual property, defamation, privacy, publishing contracts and litigations.
- Advising a number of publishing houses including Penguin Random House and Pan Macmillan on defamation and related queries.
Select Writ Court Experience:
- Representing petitioner parents in a writ petition challenging management and governmental actions at the Mirambika School.
- Representing the Delhi Development Authority in a number of writ matters.
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore, 2008
- Admitted to the Bar Council of Delhi, 2008