Ranked in Band 4, Chambers & Partners, Corporate / M&A (Global), 2020 and 2021
Uday is a dual-qualified lawyer, qualified to practice in both England and India. After graduating in Chemistry in 1994 from St. Stephen’s College, he completed his BA in Law (1997) and LL.M. from the University of Cambridge. Uday began his career at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in 1998, where he worked for six years before returning to India. Prior to joining Touchstone Partners, Uday was a partner for 13 years with an Indian corporate law firm, S&R Associates. Uday’s corporate practice covers financing and restructuring matters, including insolvency under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, capital markets and general corporate matters, including data protection and other regulatory matters.
Select Capital Markets / Corporate / M&A experience:
- Advising GEF Capital Partners in the first major overseas listing of an Indian company, ReNew Power, via the SPAC route, involving an enterprise value of US$8 billion.
- Advised Barbeque-Nation Hospitality on its pre-IPO placement from Xponentia Opportunities Fund – I and Jubilant Foodworks Limited.
- Advised the bookrunning lead managers for the first initial public offering, and subsequently the first preferential issue of units, by an infrastructure investment trust, India Grid Trust, that was sponsored by Sterlite Power Grid Ventures Limited*.
- Advised the issuer or the underwriters in public offerings and private placements of securities by S.P. Apparels, Cairn India, Punj Lloyd, Man Infraconstruction and Lanco Infratech*.
- Advised Barbeque-Nation Hospitality on its proposed IPO.
- Advised Cairn Energy PLC:
- In investor-state arbitration proceedings under a bilateral investment treaty in relation to claims.
- Against the Government of India pursuant to a retrospective tax amendment.
- In various corporate matters, including its sale of a controlling interest in Cairn India to Vedanta Resources plc and bulk deal sales of shares*.
- Advised Barbeque-Nation Hospitality in the acquisition of the India franchisee for “Johnny Rockets” restaurants and “Toscano” restaurants.
- Advised Imperativ Hospitality in various M&A and general corporate matters, including operating and lease arrangements in relation to bloomrooms.com
- Advised NDTV in various M&A, financing and corporate matters.
- Advised Sapphire Trade Associates in its exit from its joint venture in India with Delsey S.A.*
- Advised Punj Lloyd in various M&A, financing and corporate matters, including:
- Sale of shares of the owner of “Medanta” hospital facilities to Temasek Holdings.
- Sale of shares in Reliance Naval and Engineering investments in its subsidiary PL Engineering*.
- Advised various global clients in matters relating to data protection law.
- Advised Ericsson in its acquisition of Telcordia Technologies*.
- Advised the Valspar Corporation in its acquisition of the can coatings business of DIC India*.
- Advised the brokers in bulk deal sales of shares of Yes Bank and Tech Mahindra and in offers for sale through the stock exchange of shares of Wipro, Styrolution ABS (India) and D.B. Corp*.
Select Private Equity / Venture Capital Experience
- Advised GEF Capital Partners on its acquisition of a minority stake in Syrma Technology Private Limited, a company in the electronic manufacturing services sector.
- Advised CX Partners in investments in Monnet Ispat & Energy and Barbeque-Nation Hospitality*.
- Advised Jacob Ballas Capital in investments in Religare Finvest, PNC Infratech and Vivimed Labs*.
- Advised Baer Capital Partners in investments in A2Z Infra Engineering, Vatika and Bhayana Builders*.
- Advised Eight Roads, Standard Chartered Private Equity, D. E. Shaw & Co., Jardine Rothschild Asia Capital and The Wellcome Trust on investments in India*.
- Advised Global Environment Fund on investments in India.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank in various restructuring and financing matters, including:
- Restructuring of multi-billion dollar facilities.
- Initiation of the insolvency resolution process against an Indian company.
- Asset sales, purchases and restructuring*.
- Advised Asia Pragati in its initiation of insolvency resolution in the National Company Law Tribunal at New Delhi*.
- Advised a consortium of foreign lenders to Reliance Infratel Limited in recovery proceedings involving its parent company and guarantor Reliance Communications Limited and in a composite scheme of arrangement before the National Company Law Tribunal at Mumbai*.
- Advised Goldman Sachs and Zurich Financial Services on structured finance products*.
* All matters prior to joining Touchstone Partners
- Stephen’s College, Delhi University (B.Sc. (Honours) Chemistry, First), 1994
- Peterhouse, University of Cambridge (BA Law, Exhibitioner), 1997
- Peterhouse, University of Cambridge (Master of Laws, Exhibitioner), 1998
- Solicitor, England and Wales, 2000
- Admitted to the Bar Council of Delhi, 2004
‘Shareholders’ Rights & Shareholder Activism India Law and Practice’ | Chambers Global Practice Guide (2020)
‘Shareholders’ Rights & Shareholder Activism India Trends and Developments’ | Chambers Global Practice Guide (2020)
‘Online Gambling Should Be Made Legal In India’ (NDTV Opinion, 19 August 2020
‘What The Government’s Got Wrong In Addressing Insolvency’ (NDTV Opinion, 9 June 2020
“Call for Legalisation of Online Gambling” (Gambing Re, September 2020
- “Notable Practitioner,” Corporate M&A, Asialaw, 2022.
- Ranked in Band 4, Chambers & Partners, Corporate / M&A (Global), 2020 and 2021
“Uday Walia is referenced by market sources as someone who is doing “good work”. He is qualified in England and India and has experience working abroad.”
- Uday has been recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific for Corporate/ M&A and Private Equity; and Asialaw for Corporate and M&A.