Ranked as the only “Senior Statespeople” in Chambers and Partners – Competition / Antitrust (Global and Asia-Pacific), 2019, 2020, and 2021
Vinod Dhall was the founding Member and acting Chairman of the Competition Commission of India (CCI). He laid the groundwork for the eventual functioning of the Commission by preparing the draft regulations, framework for competitive analysis, and capacity building; earlier when in government, he was a key player in the enactment of the Competition Act itself.
He is an active and respected expert in competition policy and law, and is sought out for his high-level strategic advice and unique perspective on complex issues, including in mergers, cartels, abuse of dominance matters and compliance. He has advised global and Indian clients in several high-profile cases, both domestic and cross-border.
Clients comment on his “unquestionable understanding and pedigree”, find him “an expert amongst experts” (Chambers Guide 2015) and he is considered “a central figure in India’s competition law marketplace” (Indian Lawyer 250). Chambers and Partners Global Ranking – 2019 and 2020 ranked him as the only “Senior Statespeople” in the competition / antitrust field for India. He has also been recognised as a leading lawyer in the competition / antitrust field for India by Global Competition Review and Who’s Who Legal in their 2019 guide.
Vinod Dhall’s unique expertise and standing are also well respected amongst competition authorities; the Competition Commission of India engaged with him as an ‘expert of eminence’ for advice in devising a generic divestment order in merger cases. He has also been nominated by the Commission as a Non-Governmental Advisor for the International Competition Network.
His book on Competition Law, one of the first in India, has been commended as “a valuable resource” and “… an invaluable tool for readers who want to get an understanding of competition law issues.”
- His continuing positions as an Independent Director / Chairman on the boards of several listed companies gives him an additional insight into the practical and commercial issues arising in competition law matters.
- His previous work in very senior positions in government at regulatory, policy and executive levels provides a rich background to his expertise in competition law. He introduced several reforms, such as setting up the Serious Frauds Investigation Office and initiating the pioneering E-governance project MCA21 for the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Allahabad University (MSc)
- Delhi University (LLB)
- Admitted to the Bar Council of Delhi
Competition Law Today—Concepts, Issues and the Law in Practice, Oxford University Press (Editions: 2007, 2019)
‘Competition (private company acquisitions) Q&A: India’ (2020) | Practical Law
‘Act decisively against cartels’ (Financial Express, 26 September 2020
‘CCI’s recent order conclusively dispels ambiguity over who can approach the Commission’ (Financial Express, 4 September 2020)
‘The progressive weaking of India’s Competition Law’ (Competition Policy International, 10 September 2020)
‘CCI cannot be made hostage to locus standi’ (Financial Express, 12 June 2020
‘Exchange of commercially sensitive information among competitors violates Competition Law’ (Lexology, 9 July 2020)
- Ranked as the only “Senior Statespeople” in Chambers and Partners – Competition / Antitrust (Global and Asia-Pacific), 2019, 2020, and 2021
“Senior Statesman Vinod Dhall is highly respected by peers and clients alike for his comprehensive knowledge, such as a client who says that he “pretty much wrote the competition law in India.” He often acts as a senior adviser on complex cartel investigations.”
- “Top 100 lawyers,” India Business Law Journal, 2019, 2020, and 2021
- Recognised as a leading lawyer in the competition / antitrust field for India by Global Competition Review and Who’s Who Legal, 2019
- “Vinod Dhall remains a central figure in India’s competition law marketplace having been the originator of many of the CCI’s practices, regulations and institutional capacities.” – Indian Lawyer 250